OTHMAN, ADNAN -
Bershukor: A Retrospective of Hits by a Malaysian Pop Yeh Yeh Legend -
SUBLIME FREQUENCIES SF 098LP -
The legendary Adnan Othman has long been a driving force in the Malaysian rock scene. As early as the 1960s his groundbreaking songs in the style known as "pop yeh yeh" (rock and roll sung in Malay) were attracting fans across Malaysia and Singapore. He has since gained many fans around the globe due to a renewed interest in rock music from Southeast Asia. Othman made his first recordings in Singapore in the early 1960s, when he was invited to record with highly popular backing band The Rhythm Boys. He produced innovative psychedelic rock well into the 1970s and continued to evolve as a musician and composer throughout his exciting career, but always stayed true to his rock and roll roots, even when many other artists were turning toward more predictable disco influences. Each track on this album, drawn from all eight of Othman's solo EPs and ranging from 1968-1971, reveals a different side of his personality. His forceful, gritty, and emotional lyrics and vocals are backed by such memorable pop yeh yeh bands as The Rhythm Boys, The Wanderers, The Flamingoes, and The Falcons. This impressive collection includes rare photos from the artist's own collection and a detailed biography co-written by Othman himself. This is a rare and personal insight into the life of one of Singapore and Malaysia's most beloved pop yeh yeh legends, revealing the humble, generous, down-to-earth man behind the spotlight. It is clear that Adnan Othman cares deeply about preserving the legacy of his fellow pop yeh yeh musicians; he devoted considerable time and energy helping to develop the previous Malaysian rock-focused release on Sublime Frequencies, Pop Yeh Yeh - Psychedelic Rock from Singapore and Malaysia 1964-1970: Vol. 1 (2013). Again, for this album, he patiently answered the label's many questions about his life as a musician and artist, lending Bershukor his unique perspective; the label's indebtedness to Othman is reflected in the album's title, which translates to "gratitude." The 26 unforgettable tracks on these two records are soulful, electrifying, and beautiful. To the many fans of '60s Asian rock and roll around the world who have been waiting for an album dedicated solely to the music of Adnan Othman, here it is. Compiled by Carl Hamm (Pop Yeh Yeh - Psychedelic Rock from Singapore and Malaysia 1964-1970). Presented in gorgeous gatefold sleeve with full-size eight-page color booklet of text and photographs.
01. Doa Ku 02:35 listen
02. Bershukur 03:36 listen
03. Mengapa Chinta Ku Lagi 02:16 listen
04. Bila-Kah Gembira 02:33 listen
05. Hamba Terima 03:20 listen
06. Sumpah Pemuda 03:57 listen
07. Si Dia Sayang 02:50 listen
08. Gadis Semalam 02:41 listen
09. Kau Ku Chari 02:47 listen
10. Normah 03:52 listen
11. Merana 02:43 listen
12. Mari Ka-Laut 02:47 listen
13. Jangan Bersedeh 03:15 listen
14. Budi Bahasa 03:06 listen
01. Berlenggang 03:10 listen
02. Kau Tak Tahu 03:05 listen
03. Rupawan Hitam Manis 03:26 listen
04. Tinggi Gunong Sa-Ribu Janji 02:04 listen
05. Mengapa Berdusta 03:02 listen
06. Hari Bahagia 03:25 listen
07. Sapu Tangan 01:53 listen
08. Revolusi 02:39 listen
09. Sa-Untai Kata Sakuntum Bakti 02:56 listen
10. Tumpas 03:24 listen
11. Hidupku Tambah Gembira 02:33 listen
12. Pemergianku Hanya Sementara 03:25 listen
- First retrospective of Malaysian pop yeh yeh legend Adnan Othman, collecting 26 of his soulful, electrifying, beautiful, unforgettable pop psych tracks from 1968-1971.
- Presented in gorgeous gatefold sleeve with full-size eight-page color booklet containing rare photos from the artist's own collection and a detailed biography co-written by Othman himself.
- Compiled by Carl Hamm, who also compiled Pop Yeh Yeh - Psychedelic Rock from Singapore and Malaysia 1964-1970: Vol. 1 (2013).